Top 5 gun related Android smart phone apps
Android Gun Apps
Our good buddy Dan from Guns Save Lives wrote an article about the Top 5 Smart Phone apps for gun owners and it got me thinking. My top 5 apps weren’t on his list. Does that mean his list is no good? Nope, it means there is a thriving ecosystem for gun related apps out there and there’s a bunch to pick from. I went through my phone and came up with the following apps that I use on a regular basis.
Don’t forget this is an Android only list. In no specific order here they are.
This app is just for fun… wait. Scratch that, this is a serious learning tool that just happens to be fun at the same time. Ever wonder how to detail strip a 1911 down to every last pin? This app allows you to do just that with 3D models. Pick a firearm out of the 101 available 3d models and get started, spinning and zooming and seeing every detail. With it’s guided disassembly and hints, you won’t ever get completely stymied. I use this for all of my firearms whenever I’m bored and it’s a great refresher for your own guns or even guns you just want.
- Pros: It’s a lot of fun and works on my tablet and my phone.
- Cons: Keep in mind that it’s a free app but only some models of guns are free. The rest are available as in-app purchases. The user interface is also not really mobile friendly with small links and buttons that I seem to miss a lot.
Another one made for learning and making. This is a 3D weapon builder / customization tool for the AR-15 enthusiast.. You launch the app and from there you can build your dream AR15. It keeps a running tally of what your dream gun would cost and lets you change parts out when you decide a $7,000 AR probably isn’t in the budget. It costs $2.99 on Android.
- Pros: Let’s you design some cool guns with backgrounds, optics, and even Cerakote options. It has a bunch of manufacturers in there, but…
- Cons: It doesn’t have them all, so you might not be able to build exactly what you want. Slow at times.
This is a pretty decent shot timer that I use all of the time. It allows you to set comstock, virginia and par time modes as well as adjust the sensitivity. I am able to use this pretty well for dry fire practice with the sensitivity set low. I use it to practice draws, firing, splits with a SIRT, and the list goes on and on. If you don’t practice with a timer, fix yo’ self. It’s a great tool. 4 out of 5 dentists agree. Who is that 5th dentist though and why is he such a douchebag? Anyway, the app is free and it has some ads.
- Pros: Works great for most things. Live fire, dry fire, whatever
- Cons: If you set the sensitivity low enough to register dry fire it picks up your holster noise as a shot too. Live fire indoors? Not so much as it registers more shots than it should. Worst. Icon. Ever.
Lil told me I needed a ballistic calculator so I looked around and tried to figure out what was what. Some of them are really expensive and some of them are only kind of expensive. Wait, what is Strelok? Oh wow, it’s free. So I downloaded it and checked it out. I also bought a couple of the expensive ones. Strelok does a ton of what the expensive apps do and it does it for free. There is also a Strelok+ paid app that I own, but for what you might need to figure out some ballistics, the free app does just fine. You’ll know when it’s time to upgrade to a nicer app and even when you’re ready, the paid app is only $5.45.
- Pros: Tons of good information and data. Easy enough to use.
- Cons: I don’t know what most of this means.
I’ve talked about this one before. If you are a concealed carrier, you need an app like this. You can enter your permitted states and see a color coded map that shows all states with reciprocity for your permits. It shows you a quick grid of the laws and allows you to drill down to see all of the laws in detail. With the detect state button you have all of the laws at your fingertips for anything you could need to know. Oh also, it autoupdates the laws whenever it needs to to keep you on the straight and narrow. The app is $1.99 and well worth it.
- Pros: A very useful app.
- Cons: Not the most beautiful app but whatever.
Check these apps out and let us know in the comments if you have an app that you love!